In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1a bystander helped him to his feet — un transeúnte / alguien que estaba allí lo ayudó a levantarse
- they opened fire, killing innocent bystanders — abrieron fuego y mataron a varias personas inocentes / a varios transeúntes
- bystanders looked on in amazement — quienes estaban allí miraban asombrados
- Don't think for a minute that management is an innocent bystander in all of this.
- Most striking about the photos is the presence of participants and bystanders.
- In fact, Michael even helps out an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire.
- The plaintiffs draw two distinctions between their position and that of spectators or bystanders.
- Several bystanders witnessed the incident and said that the appellant appeared calm afterwards.
- It is blatantly unethical to wreak vengeance upon innocent bystanders.
- He found the account of the trial that proved her an innocent bystander, since she was a minor.
- When these agents came on the scene, they gassed the innocent bystanders outside.
- Yet you are given the impression that the author was an innocent bystander to events which were supposed to have been under his control.
- The place was surrounded by the police and the crowd of bystanders discussed the events.
- There's even a scene where a giant watermelon is menacingly thrust at an innocent bystander.
- What about an innocent bystander who knows something but isn't actually carrying out an attack?
- Perhaps this is not an unusual event, but this incident has extra urgency - a bystander says he is carrying a gun.
- As she stood on the platform, two helpful bystanders pointed out that she had misspelled liar.
- The road had not been closed and bystanders gathered to watch the events unfold.
- The innocent bystanders ran out the door of the tavern, including the bar tender.
- It is also the bystanders who watch the incidents of bullying and do nothing to stop them.
- Military officials have said the order to strike again would not have been given had many bystanders been present.
- If bystanders are present, get them to phone for an ambulance at once.
- Even organic products may kill these innocent bystanders if not used carefully.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.