In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(vegetable)repollo masculinecol femininebefore noun I found her/him in the cabbage patch — la/lo trajo la cigüeña euphemistic humorous
- In one of them, he urged his readers to plant the pine cabbage which stands unharmed through the icy Beijing winter, ready for use when the spring thaw arrives.
- This comes with fillings like chopped peas, carrots, beans, cabbage, onion, chilly, and all the garam masala ingredients.
- In what may have been the key sequence of the day, his approach landed a few yards from the pin, but bounced hard, and settled in the cabbage behind the green.
- So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.
- And the ones we custom-ordered, stuffed with onions, carrots and cabbage, are a good choice for vegetarians.
- Studies show cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts have anti-cancer properties, especially when minimally cooked.
- Vegetarian bangers with cabbage and onion clapshot will humble many a meat-eater, while the earthy sweet potato, coconut and lentil soup is as genial as an old friend's embrace.
- Next, fill your plate with cruciferous vegetables like Brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and kale.
- On extensive grounds, the school has a well organised vegetable and herb garden, where the children grow cabbages, onions, potatoes, carrots, lettuce, and garlic.
- All those beans, chickpeas, lentils and vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, eggplant and onions gave me such gas I was miserable.
- To deter a whole range of insects that have an affinity for cabbages, practice good garden hygiene and rotate your crops.
- The veggie and non-veggie versions were identical, save for the beef in the meat couscous, and the vegetables included zucchini, carrot, cabbage and big beefy lima beans.
- In the meantime it may help to avoid gas producing foods, including beans, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, eggplant, radishes and onions.
- Vendors said they are expecting a further price increase in the coming fortnight because flood waters may have unleashed more damage to fragile cash crops as pak choy, lettuce, tomatoes, cabbages and peppers.
- Vegetables like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and turnips may reduce the risk of cancerous tumors.
- Mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce are good snack foods, and they add highly desirable phytonutrients and fiber to your diet.
- The highland Nainokanoka area is well suited for growing potatoes, cabbages, and other vegetables.
- He could see whole boiled onions, carrots and cabbage, piled high.
- But while they are growing he is cultivating the other cash crops including tomatoes, onions, cabbages, chilli peppers and coffee beans.
- The pie was packed with lean meat and came with a separate and very hot dish of vegetables (carrots, white cabbage and broccoli).
- It becomes some sort of plant, like a cabbage, but bigger and with way more leaves.
- While liver is the best source of vitamin A, excellent vegetable sources are carrots, cabbage and broccoli.
- In the school's garden are giant tufts of spinach, green peppers and cabbages planted according to eco-friendly and sustainable permaculture principles.
- Vegetables such as cabbage, turnips, carrots, and broccoli are also popular as accompaniments to the meat and potatoes.
- They planted cabbages, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkin and carrots that are currently being harvested.
- We grow all manner of vegetables from cabbages and carrots to marrows.
- Vegetables to stock up on include broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, spinach, kale and cauliflower.
- Add the onion, paprika, bay leaves, cabbage, carrot and potatoes.
- Should your fall planter need a bit of extra color or more filler plants, ornamental cabbages will be the perfect final touch.
- Rosemary, thyme and dill are also good decorative herbs to plant with cabbages.
- To include indirect antioxidants in your diet, eat daily servings of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and citrus fruits and drink green tea.
- In addition to sheep products (wool, hides, and meat), the islands grow vegetables such as potatoes, cabbages, and cauliflower.
- Hidden behind trellises that enclose the outdoor growing area are lush green cabbages, green beans, exotic lettuces, peppers, tomatoes, spinach and a number of herbs, mostly in containers.
- The vegetables, a mixture of bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, were fresh and delicious.
- Other fields and cottage gardens grow grapevines on overhead trellises, the soil beneath the arches being densely planted with cabbages and other vegetables.
- At the top, she could not bear to look long at anything, the pond, the friendly profile of the collapsing house, the tiny meadow in which she had half-hoped to plant cabbages and beans in the spring.
- Colcannon is a dish made of potato and either wild garlic, cabbage or curly kale.
- The stove was always cooking up something hot to eat or drink, even if it was only fish, cabbage, carrots and potatoes, chapattis, nettle and onion soup and wild mint and blackberry leaf tea.
- Particularly good trap crops include: green lettuce, cabbage, calendula, marigolds, comfrey leaves, zinnias and beans.
- We plant a few cabbages and some early lettuces, and that pretty well fills up our garden plot.
2British informal, offensive(person)since the accident he's been a cabbage — desde el accidente está convertido en un vegetal informal offensive
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.