In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ochos masculinetrenzas femininebefore noun cable stitch sweater — suéter de ochos / trenzas masculine
- The cable stitch is usually worked in #8 thread.
- A whole space baby-wave is worked the same except thread is carried one whole space between cable stitches.
- I have an old Shetland wool cardigan jacket, knitted in a massive cable stitch, that I tend to wear on chilly evenings.
- The entire cable pattern with the purl stitch border is 8 stitches, but only the actual cable stitches need to be together on the same needle.
- Each cable strand is made up of eight cable stitches and then one tuck rib that's latched up by hand.
- There are many beautiful effects that you can create simply by using combinations of cable stitches and wave or trellis stitches.
- I only put the cable stitches on the cable needle on the row that I am twisting the cable.
- You can also alternative the amount of cable stitches such as 3-1-3, this makes a point which could be used as the tops of hearts.
- Getting the cable stitch down is tricky at first because you have to alternate your stitches with floss up and floss down.
- Rows of cable stitches are combined with seed stitch panels to create lots of surface texture and design interest.
- I wanted to start playing with the cable stitches, so I found some leftover yarn and started making swatches.
- For wider cables I might want a cable needle, although one could simply rearrange all the cable stitches on the needle before knitting them.
- If the cable stitches are held in the back of the work, it creates a cable cross to the right.
- To keep track of cable stitches in a pattern, write down the frequency of the cable rows in columns on a piece of paper.
- Essentially, it shows how to strategically drop the first half of the cable stitches and pick them up after they have been crossed with the other half of the cable stitches.
- Get ready for cable acrobatics by pinching the base of the cable stitches with your left thumb and forefinger.
- If your knitted fabric was infinitely large, any cluster of cable stitches would be balanced out in the long run by clusters of knit stitches.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.