In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Prickly pear cacti and large agave succulents, introduced from Mexico, grow everywhere in the north of the island.
- Orchid, African violet and cactus are just a few of the special mixes available.
- It has been isolated from soils in desert areas, grassland or cultivated soils, cacti, onion, and garlic bulbs.
- Good weather is also an essential pre-requisite for the growth of cacti and succulent plants.
- Like the cactuses it resembles, an aloe plant requires little care and grows quickly.
- The northeast is much more barren - there are more cactuses than palm trees in this semidesert.
- It searches among the yucca cactuses and Joshua trees for a lonely radar station atop a mountain peak.
- It looked somehow like the surface of a cactus, the peyote cactus.
- The boyfriend bought a big cactus yesterday to add in with the banana plants etc.
- We are rich with saguaros, prickly pear, and cholla cacti, and paloverde, and mesquite trees.
- They resembled a cross between a cactus and an aloe vera plant; thick and fleshy, with hairs extruding from their tendrils.
- The man-made structures are concealed by imaginative landscaping that includes coconut palms, hibiscus, cactuses, hammocks, bougainvillea, gardens and lawns opening to beach and sea.
- Scaling and barking injuries occur on stem surfaces of saguaro cacti.
- It has several gnarled trees, cactuses, oleanders, a crazy arrangement of pot plants, various graveside paraphernalia such as urns and framed photographs, and a rickety set of narrow pathways.
- Second, the cactus and acacia trees may have dissimilar distributions of branch length.
- He finally got his cactus home, planted it in his backyard, and over time it grew to about two metres.
- Tall palm trees and thick forests of cactuses give travellers the impression that they are staying in a tropical region.
- Aloe vera resembles a cactus, but is actually a perennial succulent which belongs to the lily family.
- Remember, for starters, that all cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.
- However, thorns on cactuses are a different thing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.