In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1CAD masculineDAC masculine Latin AmericaDAO masculine Spain
1bellaco masculine humorous archaiccanalla masculine humorous archaicsinvergüenza masculine humorous archaic
- It is true, however, that relationships between cads and starry-eyed romantics are rarely what they seem.
- But the possibility of crossing that line does not mean that alcohol is nothing but a trick employed by cads.
- He looked like a schoolboy socialist's dream - the leader of the left whose selfless devotion to democracy exposed his enemies as unprincipled cads.
- He, true to form, behaves like a cad and leaves her for the gambling tables and his deserved fate.
- Despite some of the despicable things she's done, we hope she'll find a little transcendence in the world of cads, cowards and creeps that surround her.
- I don't respect all who oppose it since a great many of them seem like ninnies or cads.
- But when asked who appealed to them most for short-term affairs, the women turned to the dark heroes - the handsome, passionate and daring cads.
- Though a nice boy, he acts like a cad when he next meets her.
- Britain's biggest cads, rogues and evil-doers from the past 1,000 years have been given special recognition by historians.
- We're beggars and blighters and ne'er-do-well cads.
- For example, I think stable means unchanging or changing slowly, and decent means not a cad or a bounder.
- He was a cad and a bounder, but not without charm.
- In the afternoon I went to the baths but found the water dirty and full of the most dreadful greasy-haired cads.
- My post yesterday about bounders and cads provoked a torrent of commentary and email, so I thought I'd share it with everyone.
- Often times these men received the titles of cads and rakes and the like.
- From the novels she appears to be the sort of woman who appreciates gentlemanly behaviour, but then she also seems to like cads.
- Far from being the lads or cads as often perceived by society, young and teenage fathers are fighting to support their partners during pregnancy and after birth - but are receiving little or no support from the health services.
- What turns too many of them into uncouth cads on court?
- In short, Diplomacy is not a nice game; to win, it is necessary to behave like a complete cad.
- He knew, deeply, that in keeping his true identity from her, he had been a cad and a scoundrel, but he had been so eager for her to see him in a positive light.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.