In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The violin and piano are concertante instruments throughout and are given cadenzas near the end.
- He remains silent in the melancholy slow movement but recovers for the finale, a virtuoso cadenza for solo violin and percussion, the violinist consoled at the end by two clarinets.
- In the 20th century some players inserted wildly inappropriate cadenzas in Classical concertos, either displaying flashy technique or modulating to keys so remote as to wreck the tonal balance of the movement.
- He takes up a treasured tradition by playing his own cadenzas in both concertos.
- A few of the later selections present rapid octave passages and optional cadenzas that sound more difficult than they are.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.