In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But motor oil wears out and gets dirty, soaking up toxic heavy metals like lead and cadmium, and so it must be changed.
- Other heavy metals, such as cadmium, were not recognized as poisonous until the early nineteenth century.
- The thermal and electrical conductivity of copper are relatively unaffected by small amounts of either silver or cadmium.
- Finally, vitamin C can help rid the body of heavy metal toxins, including mercury, lead, cadmium and nickel.
- Exposure to toxic metals such as cadmium or lead can result in an alteration in peripheral metabolism of thyroid hormones.
- Crabs, for example, when examined, show up to 20 times the normal levels of carcinogenic metals such as cadmium and cobalt.
- A final stress condition that was characterized was exposure to the heavy metal cadmium.
- Computers contain chemicals such as brominated flame retardants and heavy metals like lead and cadmium.
- In addition to mercury and lead, the other heavy metals commonly used by auto makers are cadmium and hexavalent chromium.
- For example, many metals, like cadmium, lead, and mercury are toxic to humans and are mutagenic and carcinogenic.
- Similarly, small amounts of the toxic trace metal cadmium can promote plant growth
- When waste oils are burned in incinerators, toxic metals such as nickel, vanadium and cadmium get ensnared in the particles given off into the atmosphere.
- And with toxic metals like cadmium, mercury and lead, it's the same story.
- Selenium appears to antagonize cadmium, especially in acute exposures.
- Unknown quantities of mercury, lead, chromium and cadmium are also on board.
- The principal pollutants are lead, cadmium, zinc, iron and manganese.
- New processing methods are outlined from which potassium, sodium, barium, strontium and cadmium were discovered.
- These elements include mercury, bromine, cadmium, indium, thallium, lead, and bismuth.
- High levels of zinc, cadmium, and barium have also been consistently found in residential soils close by the plant.
- The use of chlorophyll fluorescence to study effects of cadmium, copper, and mercury on photosynthesis has been recently reviewed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.