- The digestive tract was removed from each specimen and dissected it into the upper digestive tract, gizzard, small intestine, ceca, large intestine, liver, and pancreas.
- Total digestive tract mass was the summed masses of the upper digestive tract, gizzard, small intestine, ceca, and large intestine.
- In the right lower quadrant you are feeling mainly for the terminal ileum, the cecum, and the ascending colon, and for the descending colon in the left.
- The portion of the large intestine - between the cecum and transverse colon - that starts on the right side of the abdomen and moves up toward the liver.
- The appendix, a worm-like appendage of dubious usefulness, usually hangs straight down from the first portion of the large intestine, the cecum.