In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1calamidad femininedesastre masculine
- The skipper was experienced and had faced worse seas before and so sudden was the calamity which overwhelmed him that he was unable to send out a Mayday call.
- After unloading, I decided it would be prudent to park in the lot rather than risk further calamity.
- Speaking of the next step, for families who have lost someone in this calamity, what's the next step for them?
- In the face of this calamity, the puzzle remains why so many settlers moved to a place that turned out to be so inhospitable.
- What new calamity could be taking shape in the odd disasters of recent weeks?
- It has shown its capacity to plan ahead and be ever ready for any calamity or disaster that may beset the country.
- Yes, this country could be devastated by terrorism, or a meteor strike, or some economic calamity.
- The liberation brought fresh calamity and distress for those Jews who had survived the Holocaust.
- To the extent that the pessimism is based on fears of an election day terrorist calamity, it's hard to argue with.
- One morning's natural calamity has delivered tens of thousands of new victims.
- The worst economic calamity to befall a family, and especially women and children, is divorce.
- It wasn't long before an even greater calamity than sea sickness set upon them.
- Earth was among the many planets destroyed in this calamity, and many humans were lost also.
- Before the oil well calamity, villagers there led a peaceful life, getting along with each other in harmony.
- Which devastating calamity is to come our way, hyperinflation or collapsing deflation?
- There were those indeed who believed this calamity marked the end of the world.
- Nearly every calamity and malady known to humankind has a saint to look after it.
- Whenever any calamity, disaster or accident occurs, their team arrives there as volunteers for relief work.
- Plan for stress, say the experts, just like you plan ahead for any calamity you want to avoid.
- The areas that were most damaged by the calamity is certainly back on its feet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.