In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Indeed, I am concerned that without such a change the whole bill looks more cynical and calculating than the Minister probably intends.
- Likewise, the promotion of the controversy by national manufacturers' associations has been calculating and disingenuous.
- It is difficult to judge a man as calculating when he seems so natural.
- He paused for a moment, with a spreading calculating smile designed to draw the others in.
- Both of these ladies bided their time and proved to be quite calculating and ruthless.
- Clearly the robots take the long-term view on this one, as they would, what with being utilitarian calculating machines designed for the preservation of life.
- Whatever the reason, his public persona seems guarded and calculating and his repeated protestations of humility usually fall flat.
- Mrs Cunningham gave me a calculating look over my sketchpad that was filled with spite and dislike.
- So our military has to be very shrewd, very calculating and I think that they are laying out those plans.
- It was decidedly hard to do with Mr Cunningham's cold, judging, calculating eyes were staring at us.
- There's something very calculating and manipulative about how he does things.
- I was quite struck by the image used for that tour, because it does not seem an accident, it seems very well designed in a calculating fashion.
- Mr Latham said it suggested ‘a devious and calculating mind well able to think about what he needed to do to distract attention away from himself’.
- This is not the undertaking of a benevolent nation helping another in the spirit of friendship and trust, but a cold calculating act designed to crush the human spirit and bring about the death of hope.
- At one extreme, imagine genetically engineered minds devoid of conscience or empathy and at the same time highly calculating and ruthless in the pursuit of their own desires.
- When viewers meet her, Claire is a determined, rather calculating career woman, an ambitious lawyer working for the Prosecution Service.
- Underneath the mane of blonde hair was a ruthless calculating brain.
- They're cunning, they're devious, they're calculating.
- Strydom was at his shrewd and most calculating best.
- The movie presents her not just as ambitious talent; we also see the shrewdly calculating side that propelled her into the spotlight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.