In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(skirt) que llega a media pierna(boots) de media caña
- Dresses are adorned with beautiful embroidery, as are calf-length skirts, cuffs and collars.
- In the cooler highlands, they wear a calf-length shirt called a zanna with a jacket.
- Lily, too, was dressed as oddly as ever, wearing one of her calf-length hippie skirts and her usual combat boots.
- In the 1920s the calf-length tweed skirt with a crêpe de chine blouse epitomised the British look.
- If we lived in a city you would be wearing calf-length skirts and practicing piano and sewing all day, not chasing cattle across the fields wearing trousers and sitting astride a horse.
- Dawn, obviously uncomfortable, ran ahead of us wearing naught but the calf-length coat.
- Nicholas Blanchet's collection saw calf-length flared skirts, some with two tones and silk over the top.
- If I wore my calf-length boots and a skirt, no one would ever know that I'd lost a leg.
- Cassara was more than a little glad to be out of her dress and into some more comfortable clothes: a pair of billowing trousers, a cotton sweater and a pair of her favorite calf-length boots.
- There were little calf-length boots, not for wearing in wet weather.
- She looked substantial enough, calf-length boots, a tweed skirt and jacket.
- The calf-length boot, worn under trousers strapped beneath the instep and called ‘overalls’ eventually became called the Wellington boot, after its most famous adherent.
- I want my bridesmaids to be in a corresponding shape - a full, netted, calf-length skirt with fitted top, preferably in red.
- I pulled it out and tossed it on my bed, along with a pink, calf-length skirt.
- Giovanni has an athletic build, wears heavy boots and a blue and white shirt tucked into turned-up denim jeans; Onelia wears a faded apron round her calf-length skirt.
- Assuming that the body suit was the outfit that Alex was referring to, Andrea pulled this and the matching calf-length boots.
- So they opted for a tailored calf-length coat - chocolate brown - with a blue pinstripe suit and white plimsolls.
- For traditional ceremonies, such as weddings, the sherwani and churidar, a calf-length tunic and tight-fitting trousers, are often seen, accompanied by a turban.
- On this afternoon he was wearing a check shirt and rather tight jeans, his feet were in calf-length leather boots and he had a reasonable facsimile of Wyatt Earp's 10-gallon hat on his head.
- Trial judge Mr Justice Moses, who had swapped his red robe and wig for a grey, woollen, calf-length coat and pinstripe suit, followed on.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.