In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cabina telefónica feminineteléfono público masculine
- I remember a sequence where he is in a call box in the middle of nowhere waiting to jump another freight train west.
- One day I was expecting an important call so I rang my home telephone from a public call box and keyed into my messaging service to see if anyone had phoned.
- He had been unable to get through on his mobile and so had used a call box.
- She was walking back to her hostel after phoning her boyfriend at a nearby call box when she was attacked.
- Cellular technology is rendering coin operated call boxes redundant.
- Griffin says covert liaisons and secret calls from a lover in a call box proclaiming how much he needs you are romantic and even addictive.
- From a call box he phoned Susan and was surprised to get an answer.
- British Telecom announced recently that it planned to remove around 10,000 of the 75,000 public call boxes of all types still in existence.
- But subsequently he had changed that account and said he now remembered meeting a witness and being out of his flat earlier and going to a call box to ring his drug supplier.
- You only had to use a call box once during the day to realise it was costing you an arm and a leg.
- His time machine looks like a British police call box from the '60s.
- Residents say that a succession of elderly women in the village has kept the call box spick and span and added the homely touches for more than 15 years.
- It blames the proliferation of mobile phones for the fact that some call boxes, particularly those in quieter areas, are becoming obsolete.
- Still standing in the same village is the red call box which features in the film.
- British Telecom is planning to axe 30,000 call boxes throughout the country.
- John Marshall was on the run from York Police when he telephoned his mother from a public call box in Amsterdam and told her he had nothing to lose.
- A CCTV operator then gave police details of a man in a call box on Kew Road, Richmond.
- It was much easier than going to the call box outside then running back inside the shop to make my purchase.
- Since he doesn't want his wife to find out about phoning the young lass he phones her instead from a call box, the very same one, every morning at a set time.
- At one point she claims her daughter's mobile phone number was plastered in call boxes and at bus stops inviting people to ring her on a chat line.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.