In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Saira opened it and pulled out several parchment sheets covered with calligraphy writing.
- He handed me a note, folded neatly down the middle and lettered in flowing calligraphy.
- Paintings of fruits, flowers, animals, and national anthem written in ornate Urdu calligraphy embellish its forehead.
- Both clerical and cursive scripts are now regarded as forms of Chinese calligraphy.
- She picked up the fine blossom and began to read the words written in perfect flowing calligraphy.
- I also got the opportunity to write some Chinese calligraphy.
- Her name had been written in calligraphy across the center of the envelope.
- The scriptwork, calligraphy and artwork are nothing short of magical and there is a further treat for bookish types as you get to wander through the barrel vaulted Long Room Library as well.
- On the front of the envelope, written in blood-red flowing calligraphy, was one word: Sydney.
- A sign written in neat calligraphy says that this marks the spot of a village that was destroyed by a flood a year ago.
- It was a simple, yet elegant invitation - all white, with a little emboss of flowers and the information written in calligraphy.
- The committee in charge of publicity for the dance put up a poster written in Old English calligraphy.
- This attention to detail, beauty, and muscle control can later be transferred to cursive writing and beautiful calligraphy.
- Hearing this, Lanz reached into his pants pocket to pull out a small, crisp piece of paper, with something written in calligraphy.
- As expressed in painting, writing and calligraphy, the moon inspired many Chinese scholars throughout the centuries.
- She gently pressed the note in her palm, touching the delicately written calligraphy with her fingertips.
- She even made a placard written in calligraphy and in faultless rhyming couplets denouncing the union.
- Significantly, this confession of faith is written in the Gujarati script, rather than in Arabic calligraphy.
- The inside message was written in red calligraphy by David's own hand.
- He was interested in calligraphy, writing his lectures in beautifully drawn characters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.