In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1calomelanos masculinecalomel masculine
- The places cinnabar and calomel can be mined in the world are as follows.
- Some were truly dangerous, like calomel, a mercury-based laxative that may have hastened George Washington's death from the cold he famously caught while riding on a rainy night.
- During the mid-19th century, opium and opium related-drugs were very widely available and commonly used, as well as a dangerous drug based on mercury called calomel.
- She's not reacting well to the calomel I gave her yesterday.
- Civil War surgeons began treatment with mild purgatives, such as castor oil, extract of senna, or small doses of calomel.
- They had forced down her throat the gobs of chalky calomel mixed with laudanum prescribed by the head-shaking doctor until her gums bled.
- It includes the famous Livingstone Rousers - the combination of purgatives including calomel, quinine, rhubarb, essence of jalop and opium - which Livingstone found effective in treating his bouts of malaria.
- Surgeons relied on strong mercury purgatives, such as calomel or ‘blue pill’.
- Rush's strategy with serious fevers was to purge with powerful doses of calomel and jalap, followed by bleeding until the patient fainted.
- Carl Staszak found a large boulder with a good exposure of the ore suite-cinnabar, native mercury, calomel, and some yellow mercury oxychlorides.
- Reports of mercury poisoning from beauty creams containing calomel, or mercurous chloride, also surface regularly.
- Doctors resorted to medications that purged the poison from the body - mercury laxatives, calomel, and emetics such as ipecacuanha.
- The bowels were cleaned with calomel or blue-pill, which causes gastric irritation, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
- He felt inside as if he had been taking calomel.
- High levels of arsenic were found in his body, leading to calls for an exhumation from Les Invalides in Paris to ascertain whether arsenic poisoning caused by an overdose of the laxative calomel caused his death.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.