In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nounPlural calyces, Plural calyxes
- He gave special attention to the pubescence of the leaves and of the calyces.
- The real attraction, though, is the dramatic calyxes that remain after the small flower petals fall.
- Similar to the color traits, plant prickles were also evaluated for individual organs including stem, leaf, and flower and fruit calyxes.
- The flower has a tubular calyx with four ovate lobes and a corolla with four overlapping petals.
- Unlike with other bulb flowers, the calyxes of amaryllises do not open quickly, so consider this when using them in flower arrangements for certain occasions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.