In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The garden includes ferns, hydrangeas, irises, waterlilies, camellias, rhododendrons, Japanese maples and fuchsias.
- Gardenias like an acidic soil and so grow well with camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons.
- ‘It does have the Japanese plants, though,’ she says, including camellias, acers, azaleas and ferns.
- Shrubs with waxy leaves, such as camellias, gardenias and ixoras always look fresh and composed.
- Camellia japonica, like most camellias, needs a site shaded from morning sun, sheltered from icy winds, and with moisture in the soil sufficient to prevent bud drop in autumn and winter.
- Rhododendrons, most heathers, camellias and many others must have acid soil.
- These include azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias.
- Her romantic garden showcases David Austin roses, hydrangeas, camellias, orange trees and numerous perennial and annual plants.
- The best camellias are usually grown in beds or in areas where the soil and surroundings offer a friendly home for them.
- The pavilions will house plants from temperate regions of the southern hemisphere such as passion flowers, camellias, banksias, tea trees and wattles.
- Among the plants in the garden are roses, a white magnolia, camellias, tulips, white primula, blue lobelia and much more.
- The beds are planted with a wide range of trees and shrubs, including acers, camellias, rhododendrons, oaks and beeches, beneath which grow choice perennials and bulbs.
- For something in bloom, choose a camellia, Christmas cactus or moth orchid.
- The shrubs include camellias, hellebores, pieris and hydrangeas, which make a splendid sight when in bloom.
- I delight in growing plants from all over the world and can't see anything wrong with siting an Asian camellia next to a Hawaiian hibiscus - their shape, colours and form complement each other nicely.
- The garden was created by banker Lionel de Rothschild in the 1920s and is famous for its stunning displays of camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons.
- With their evergreen, glossy leaves camellias look good year-round and make an excellent backdrop for summer flowering plants.
- Good buys include azaleas, camellias and rhododendrons.
- There are also many flowers and shrubs including tree heather, azaleas and camellias, while the two large greenhouses include an apricot and peach tree, nectarine trees, tomatoes and vines.
- Gardenias and camellias had also been suggested as candidates for this honor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.