In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As well as symphonies he wrote books on astronomy and campanology.
- Thus was he able to perceive connections between such seemingly disparate aspects of music as plainsong, electronics, extended piano techniques and campanology.
- Gissing refers to Haweis's work on campanology in a letter to his brother William on 26 February 1880.
- Think of the etiquette of gambling casinos on display in the James Bond series or the erudition about everything from campanology to advertising agencies in Dorothy Sayers's Peter Wimsey books.
- He enjoyed several sports, skiing, and horse riding as well as campanology.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.