In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in tent)campista feminineacampante masculine
- A couple of campers had left their tents for the night to go walking and they must have been swamped.
- Less-rustic accommodations are available in the main lodge or in one of 12 cabins, while hardier campers can get economy-class tents.
- At weekends, the beaches are thick with surfers, volleyball players, all-day picnicking families and overnight campers.
- More tourists, campers, horse riders and others visit this area of the Laois side of the Mountains than any other.
- More than 500 campers reported items missing from their tents, while in some cases the tent itself went missing.
- The Glasgow site sells a vast array of gear for hillwalkers, climbers, campers, canoeists, skiers, snowboarders and adventure travellers.
- Christmas is looming ever closer, and this morning on the radio warnings were going out to holiday campers, to have a contingency for possible evacuations, in the event of fire.
- The assistant director for programming says that campers enjoy the people and their new friendships the most.
- One got sick after it visited a campground where campers fed it hot dogs and popcorn.
- Emerging from the tent I saw the campers around us were hastily packing everything up and then dragging all their soaking gear to the shelter of the kitchen area, huddling there wet and cramped.
- The ravine soon became a favorite and picturesque spot for adventurous campers and climbers, but the first skier didn't appear until April 1914.
- Apart from the beautiful views, the site has a very high standard of facilities and several campers have remarked how impressed they were with every aspect of the park.
- The controlled operation will help protect campers and holidaymakers from loose rocks falling towards the Mount Maunganui hot pools and motor camp this summer.
- The products are geared to outdoor enthusiasts like hunters, campers, hikers and the like.
- It is set in the beautiful, mysterious landscape of the Peak District in the North of England, populated by a bizarre collection of campers, ramblers and hikers.
- Horse riders, campers and those on walking holidays seem to be the main tourists visiting.
- It turned out some of the campers had never played baseball before, only softball.
- The place is still busy with boaters and swimmers and campers and fishermen.
- When it comes to quickly setting up temporary buildings, the military relies on structures familiar to hikers and campers - tents.
- But there is a nice view from this height, and across the lake I can see the tents of some sleeping campers yet to rise.
- The accident on the Perth to Inverness road involved a Transit van, a camper van and a Volkswagen Polo thought to be from the continent.
- The project sees workers and advisers travelling round in a camper van and stopping when they come across youngsters hanging about on the streets.
- The TV presenters shunned the traditional showbiz wedding by marrying in a local church before driving off in a camper van.
- The applicant in that case had serious health problems and had, he alleged, been evicted from accommodation and compelled to live in a camper van so that his health deteriorated and he had to be taken to hospital.
- In true festival fashion the pair will be driving down from Yorkshire in a camper van which will convert into their stall over the three days of the festival.
- A police spokesman said a collie was struck by a passing car as it escaped the camper van and ran away from the scene of the accident.
- I enjoy ‘getting away from it all’ in my camper van.
- Police also seized the camper van and questioned six members of the team staff as witnesses.
- One contributor left his job as an aircraft design engineer to travel Europe in a camper van, researching little-known megalithic sites to add to the fast-growing sections on France and Germany.
- Whether it's a tourer, a motorhome, a holiday home or even a folding camper, the winning leisure vehicle will be decked out with mod cons fit for a gadget geek in heaven.
- Sure enough, there were quantities of visitors around the site and caravans and campers parked nearby.
- There was also a British Heart Foundation van collecting and delivering in the area on that day and that should not be confused with the camper van.
- This Summer, my wife and I spent three weeks in a camper van following the team around New Zealand.
- The caravan park was crammed with campers, vans and tents.
- Someone's car had blocked our camper van in and we had to leave.
- After clinching the World Cup in Germany on Sunday, Cooke was facing a drive to Holland for another race on Monday - and the prospect of a night's sleep in the team camper van.
- Before returning to Britain, Eleanor was touring New Zealand in a camper van, but recently much of her property, including her mobile phone, was stolen.
- She had gone to get something from her camper van and was in the road when the ice-cream van approached and hit the parked car.
- ‘After working at Cameron House, on the shores of Loch Lomond, I decided to travel round France for three months in a camper van with another chef,’ he says.
- Philip and his niece Bryony escaped injury when the camper van they were travelling in burst into flames in the middle of the road.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.