In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I do wonder why people can't just accept that we all want to worship God in our own ways?
- Scratch my head as I may, I can't come up with a poem that does it in a way that suits my mood.
- We can't just come off stage and go to our hotel rooms and be quiet, that's just not us.
- It is good for kids to know that they can't always win in sport, in games and in life.
- He seems to have had so much Botox injected that he can't move his top lip at all or his forehead.
- You know you have those days when you just can't get rid of a particular song from your head?
- Donna has been ill through all this and Emily can't work as she has to look after her.
- The first law of tax relief is that you can't get the relief if you don't pay the tax.
- If savings must be made why can't they start at the top instead of the bottom every time?
- The bottom line of what is being said here is still why can't women be more like men?
- I can't do any more to save the company money and rid the area of the blot on the landscape.
- At the end of the day, we can't force them to open it, but we can stop them doing this.
- It just blew me away and I can't be grateful enough to my brother who bought it for me.
- It is also a problem for plumbing students who can't find firms ready to take them on.
- We feel that we can't ban all headwear as some people wear them as part of their culture.
- Norris is only four months old and he can't fly very far because he gets easily tired.
- If you can't pop along to see it, you can check it out from the comfort of your own home with the web cam.
- She needs a fence as she has been burgled twice and her children can't play out there.
- Police say it is a vicious circle, if we arrest and fine them they can't pay the fines.
- There comes a point where you can't work any harder and you have to look at other things.
- can not
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.