In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine velafeminine candelamasculine ciriocandle snuffer — apagavelas masculine
- She produces a lighter and the single candle on the table flickers into life alongside the vase of white flowers
- I'd light candles in the small, pink room that I slept in to make it more homely.
- He was waiting, candles burning, flickering on the beautifully set table.
- Winstanley climbed up to the lantern and lit a dozen tallow candles.
- The name of every passenger who boarded at Cobh and later died at sea was read out and 79 candles were lit in their honour.
- During power outages exercise caution when using candles as a light source.
- The swimming pool was decorated with fairy lights and floating candles and a table for the intimate party of 12 was set outside.
- The candles were lit in front of a portrait of Florence Nightingale.
- Light candles and burn oils to create a restful and tranquil environment.
- At 8 a.m. the mayor lit the candles and incense and nine monks led the religious ceremonies.
- Participants are asked to bring candles, lanterns and torches.
- An inquest heard that the fire started after friends of Mr Wright lit candles in his flat while he had gone out drinking with a friend.
- You could burn incense sticks or light a scented candle.
- All the parents were given little red candles to light and then people could leave them there or bring them home.
- If the candle is put out the light disappears, but if the candle begins to melt and we touch the end of the dying candle to a new candle, then the light continues.
- They light candles and incense and kneel down to pray before the image.
- As I prayed this weekend, I lit the candles in our little shrine and found it focused my prayers beautifully.
- Posters highlighted the extra dangers the festive season brings - including the use of candles and fairy lights.
- There was no light, and a huge rainstorm blew in - we just lit a bunch of candles, and it was pretty amazing.
- We sometimes light candles when it grows dark, but we don't use them in the bedrooms as we think it is too dangerous.
- Readings, poems and music chosen by relatives were included in the service, during which candles were lit in memory of those who died.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.