In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1candelero masculinecandelabro masculinefeminine palmatoria
- This figurine was designed as a candlestick, with the holder protruding from the base on either side.
- On the table were three candlesticks, the one in the middle being the tallest, and the flames were bright orange.
- A feeling of quality about the place was enhanced by the starched white tablecloths and napkins, and silver candlesticks.
- I certainly didn't want to spend my time polishing candlesticks and candelabra.
- Even a candle in a copper candlestick was present.
- Instead of boring old scented candles and candlesticks, why not get a friend a candle that actually says something about them?
- Everything was gold and marble: the tables, chairs, candles, candlesticks, and even the outside of the mantel.
- My own tastes run toward dark colors, simple oak antiques, comfortable chairs, brass candlesticks, and interesting but quirky ornaments.
- Down the centre were tall black candlesticks with yellow, lit stumps of wax in.
- Tables are laid with fresh flowers and silver candlesticks with fish motifs.
- Communion chalices can cost between £500 and £10,000, with candlesticks worth in excess of £500.
- It offers a wide variety of Christmas decorations, small gifts such as frames for photographs and figurines, silver candlesticks, candles and non-kitsch trinkets.
- The stolen candlesticks, which are about 8in tall and are painted to look like bronze, were taken from a mantelpiece in the museum's Hearth Gallery, which shows historic fireplaces.
- Other items stolen from the Holy Trinity Anglican Church included candlesticks, vases, antique tables, a communion vessel and a chalice.
- His interior pieces on display include medieval banquet tables, slender candlesticks and chandeliers, and mirrors.
- Two more candles on silver-gilt candlesticks stand at each end of the coffin.
- She had two tall, shapely brass candlesticks that sat side by side on a small table in her entryway.
- Decorate your outdoor space with unusual iron sculpture, tall candlesticks or a variety of potted plants.
- The candlesticks were made from teak and mahogany generating a two-tone effect and looked very impressive.
- Following the recent tragic accident, a beautiful set of candlesticks were donated to the local church by her friends in remembrance of Helen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.