In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of material)a rayasde rayas
- Finally, how gorgeous do little girls look in candy-striped socks or tights?
- In the bouts which used regularly to be on television on Saturday afternoons Jackie Pallo was immediately recognisable for his peroxided hair, candy-striped Y-fronts and gold-spangled boots.
- Before 10 am a steady stream of cars carrying cardinals from around the globe arrived at the Vatican gates to be waved in by Swiss guards in their distinctive candy-striped uniforms.
- A little showman in a candy-striped jacket and straw hat is dancing before an audience composed entirely of shrouded skeletons.
- McCluskey is dressed in her usual eccentric and contrasting layers: a khaki combat jacket over a floaty, Hare Krishna-orange top and candy-striped pedal pushers.
- More conventional, but with a fair share of siren sexiness, were candy-striped Capri pant suits or a 1950s-style ruched jacket printed with little blue mermaids.
- Senior girls will now wear white shirts instead of candy-striped ones while junior girls have the option to wear shorts.
- She had a short black shirt on, with candy-striped sleeves.
- I saw Sienna Miller wearing a candy-striped dress by him earlier this year, which I loved - if I hadn't already bought my wedding dress, I would have tried to get something similar.
- More colour was on offer at the ever-adventurous Japanese house Issey Miyake, which ended its carefully choreographed show with grass green, turquoise and fluorescent orange either in blocks or in candy-striped suits.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.