In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Medicinefeminine úlcerabefore noun canker sore — afta feminine
- Call your doctor if your child's canker sore gets worse.
- If your child's doctor prescribes a medicine that should be applied directly to the canker sore, first dry the area with a tissue.
- Once it does, the canker sore may swell and burst in about a day.
- This means that you swish the medicine around in your mouth, especially around your canker sore, for a few minutes before swallowing it.
- Most villagers show symptoms such as skin cankers as a result of breathing the poisonous air or drinking the polluted water over a long period.
- When my husband was a little boy, the doctor told his mom he had a canker sore.
- Removal of bark over the canker reveals a sharply defined region of darkened or discolored wood bordered by white, healthy wood.
- Activity in the citrus orchards of central Queensland has ground to a halt as the state calls for help to deal with the mammoth task of inspecting trees for the disease canker.
- Trees appear to resist bacterial canker but are very susceptible to fire blight.
- He visits other chestnut trees, too, packing mud on their cankers and clipping flowers for use in breeding programs.
- Punching holes around each canker, Cummings Carlson's team inoculated the tree with a slurry of hypovirulent fungus.
- But chief health officer Chris Adriaansen says states want trees in the quarantine area at Emerald individually inspected for canker.
- In the first stage, 8,000 trees are being treated with a copper spray, to contain the canker when trees are chopped down and burnt.
- It pays to be on the lookout for apple scab, canker and mildew, tackling any problems before they become deeply ingrained and hard to treat.
- As the infection progresses, trees undergo twig and branch dieback and develop stem cankers, which results in tree-death.
- In dry edible beans, anthracnose causes unsightly cankers on plant stems, pods, and seeds.
- For politicians, the overstayer issue is a bit of a canker.
- Now the big question is how to curb the canker of corruption and restore much needed probity in public life.
- ‘The frenzied addiction to art,’ wrote Baudelaire, is a canker that devours.
- ‘That is the canker in the heart of the Conservative Party and that is what sparked the trouble,’ he said
- Yet it is impossible not to recognise in the modern game an additional and growing canker that has attached itself to all the old familiar forms of dubious behaviour.
- The problem is the blind smugness of a society, and a political class, that see teenage violence simultaneously as a canker and an abstraction.
- Anti-intellectualism is a hideous canker in our society, but it feeds on needless pretension and superiority.
- His hurt never diminished and remained as a canker that ate away at him as he grew older.
- As music lovers might we not more frequently draw attention to this noise canker in our society?
- It is quite a remarkable thing for a novelist to name the canker that makes for human rottenness, especially since James does it with such fine literary craft and such acute theological discernment.
- There is a certain pathological view about corruption, about the entire organ being diseased, about a canker in national character, a view which has no basis in facts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.