In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The workload in Bradford is so great that it cannot take on any new clients at present.
- Chemistry is one of those things that just cannot be planned for when casting a film.
- The call is free from a landline, will not show up on an itemised bill and cannot be traced.
- It is important to clarify that you cannot be sent to jail for not paying your licence fee.
- Birds die of fright very easily, and cannot fly at night to get away from a noise source.
- Sport cannot resolve all our problems but it can at least reunite us a little bit more.
- What we have to recognise is that as a historic city we cannot build what we like where we like.
- They cannot deny facts and the truth but of course they will never admit they are wrong.
- The best spinner in the world cannot take wickets for you from the other side of the globe.
- This whole thing is tearing us apart because we cannot get to see our son every day.
- While that may certainly have been true a decade ago, it cannot be said to be the case now.
- If we cannot obtain democracy by normal behaviour we must obtain it by the back door.
- It is now conceivable that there is a rift between them that cannot be easily healed.
- Anyone who would like to bid for one of the lots, but who cannot make it to the event can put in a sealed bid.
- At present, if you draw a company pension you cannot go back to work for that company.
- I cannot believe he has no thoughts of the club and supporters who gave him a good life.
- Mesfin does not go to school and cannot be sure of clean water or of getting one square meal a day.
- It will ensure that we are governed by people whom we do not elect and whom we cannot remove.
- You cannot sit there and let someone into your house and let them perpetrate a crime.
- I cannot imagine what it would have been like if she had had to travel all the way to Dundee.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.