In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The trip in March 2005 includes five days and nights in the Sierra del Escambray mountains and treks through limestone canyons.
- We're utilizing the helicopters in some of the rough area to get into those deep, steep canyons.
- Crops were withering, cattle were dying, and the river that once sculpted canyons was a trickle.
- Towering bridges crossed creeks, ravines and canyons, while down below huge waves swept across rocks and deserted beaches.
- The book was an argument for preventing further dams in the Colorado River canyons.
- We've all seen earlier images of the Mars surface, which showed valleys and canyons.
- Before long, more prospectors arrived and followed the gold trail up the canyons to the west of the river.
- The photography group go south again for the day, sheltered from the westerly wind to dive a maze of deep, narrow canyons.
- Oak woodland develops best in moist, protected canyons and valleys with deep alluvial soils.
- The trip passes by waterfalls, forests, canyons, valleys, sinkholes and caves.
- The coastline is varied, dramatic and rugged, cut with caves, gullies, canyons and sheer cliffs.
- The helicopter then descended into the bottom of the canyon and landed on one side of the Colorado River.
- There is no place as mysterious or haunting as the canyons and valleys of the American Southwest.
- While on the subject of canyons, there are some really spectacular underwater canyons off Great Dog Island to the west of Tortola.
- It's a hard battle though because when you're at the bottom of a vast canyon looking up, it seems a hell of a climb to the top.
- Three fascinating cultures converge in the red rock canyons of Mesa Verde.
- The canyon opened into vast boulder fields, where the river sometimes disappeared in the distance.
- She could barely see the outline of a river winding lazily through the canyon.
- Camping and fishing are available down in the Pecos River canyon or you can hike up on the mesa.
- Outlanders often refuse to believe that Texas even has canyons or mountains, but this range is no mirage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.