In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1barranquismo masculinecañonismo masculine
- Then we decided to take the walking a touch further, and in keeping with the terrain, we settled on an activity called canyoning.
- Optional add-ons include horse-riding, canyoning, and whale-watching in the Straits of Gibraltar.
- John informs us that the only place in India where canyoning takes place is Dandeli.
- I was taking part in a race, the Mauritius Raid, four days of strenuous activity; mountain-biking, kayaking, canoeing, canyoning and rollerblading.
- I've been climbing for three years and partaking in sort of sports like this for probably five, like abseiling and canyoning.
- I've been four times, and while there have enjoyed canyoning, deep-sea fishing, snorkelling in the reefs, several helicopter flights and wandering around the top of live volcanoes.
- A week of canyoning, canoeing, rafting, climbing and orienteering, with B&B accommodation by the beach at Stomio, costs £355 pp.
- As a result a number of teams were put through a three-day activity that used the disciplines of abseiling, canyoning and whitewater rafting.
- Volley-type sandshoes are by far the best shoes for canyoning.
- For more active visitors there's canyoning and mountain guides for hire, and for the less active there are plenty of waterside restaurants where you drink a glass of wine and read, or even write, a book.
- At its most basic, canyoning is following a river along its course through a gulley.
- Its Awesome Foursome weekend, based in the Austrian resort of Zell am See, in the Kitzbühler Alps, features white-water rafting, canyoning, mountain-biking and glacier-skiing.
- Though I was going to save bungee jumping, canyoning and the rest of the wild stuff for when I wasn't playing at being an Edwardian vicar, I had decided that paragliding was a must.
- There are many things to do on the North Island, but we wanted to get to the south as quickly as possible. Our only major excursion in the North was a day's canyoning in the Piha Canyon just outside Auckland.
- Yet even the rugged gorge walks and canyoning of the interior cater for the luxury traveller.
- If you enjoy a day at the swimming pool, splashing down the flumes, think of canyoning as the 100% natural equivalent.
- Slithering, clambering, and clawing through bush - literally bushwhacking - is unique to Blue Mountain canyoning.
- AS I stood on the edge of the cliff, contemplating stepping off into freezing black water, I wondered if I'd seriously lost the plot when I agreed to try canyoning.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.