In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1alcaravea femininebefore noun caraway seed — carvi masculine
- Well there is the fiery chilli based Harissa made from olive oil, chillies, caraway, mint, cumin, coriander, garlic and salt.
- Fry the onions until softened, then add the green pepper, tomatoes, stock, caraway seeds, sugar, paprika and cayenne and bring to the boil, stirring.
- The Macao people have combined Western cheeses, Chinese soybean oil and caraway, coconut milk popular in Thai cooking, and Indian curries into Portuguese cuisine, which is spicy and enticing.
- Place the cabbage, mint, parsley and caraway in a large mixing bowl.
- I love their piney, resinous, spicy smell, but you could add a teaspoonful of caraway seed - an old friend of the cabbage - instead.
- He serves it on a toothsome, melt-in-the-mouth compote of beetroot, red onion and red cabbage, delicately flavoured with a hint of caraway and possibly cumin seed.
- Dishes should be prepared with digestive spices such as cumin, caraway, ginger, mustard seed, clove, basil, turmeric, fenugreek, cinnamon, and garlic (roasted only).
- She said her mother's Scandinavian background inspired her first to add a bit of caraway seed.
- Spoon some mustard sauce around the dish and garnish with caraway seeds and mustard seeds.
- A well-chosen rack of lamb lacked the promised rosemary or any herb in its jus, and two thick pan-seared medallions of pork similarly reneged on the caraway and cider.
- Ground toasted coriander and caraway seeds are also traditional ingredients which can be added to harissa.
- The list of foods I dislike includes, but is not limited to, the following: olives, liver, kidney, most fish including salmon, crab, and squid, courgette, caraway, aniseed, liquorice, aubergine and peppers.
- The rye and pumpernickel have caraway, cardamom, and a touch of onion in the sourdough.
- Lunch I'll make myself - usually some cold rice and salad with a dressing of olive oil, mustard, caraway seeds and garlic, or tabbouleh.
- Add the wine, Benedictine, blueberries, cranberries, chocolate, ginger, juniper berries, and caraway seeds.
- Add in the carrots, sprinkle with salt and caraway seeds, and cook for about ten minutes.
- Sweet and sour flavours - apples, dried fruits, vinegar - go very well with red cabbage, as do spices, such as caraway.
- Because kitchens of yore had limited ingredients, bakers often flavored cookies with dates, rose water, or caraway seed.
- Add the leeks, onions, celeriac, garlic, tomatoes, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and caraway seeds and sauté until the vegetables are tender, about five minutes.
- Half were given Lomatol, a German herbal preparation containing peppermint, fennel seed, caraway seed and wormwood.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.