In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One of such newly developed weapons for airborne forces of Nazi Germany were light carbines that could use standard ammunition.
- The most common Arisaka models one comes across today at shows are the long rifles, short rifles, and carbines.
- What was needed was a carbine or a short-barreled rifle that would fire an intermediate-weight cartridge and was capable of full automatic fire.
- All four Crusader Blue tanks engaged the enemy on both sides of the road with coax,.50-caliber, and M240 loader's machine guns, M4 carbines, and M9 pistols.
- A large part of Beretta's advertising campaign has been the ability to convert the Neos from a pistol to a light carbine without any tools, however, so far there has been no word on availability or price of this upgrade.
- If the family is in the safe room and the intruders are kicking down that door, the carbine, rifle or shotgun comes into its own.
- Several buildings were examined and stores of grenades, Russian and Chinese machine guns, automatic carbines, uniforms and military equipment, including a tonne of ammunition, were found.
- While you can look for a lot more PDs to swap shotguns for rifles and carbines, the wave of the future may be stocking each vehicle with shotgun and compact auto rifle.
- Mainly there are modern weapons in the game - weapons that were present-day in 1978: knives, pistols, shotguns, carbines, sniper rifles.
- But as the war progressed the bolt action rifle was increasingly supplemented, or replaced, by carbines and by a variety of other automatic and semi-automatic firearms.
- He joined in with automatic fire from his carbine and threw grenades at the enemy, whose attacks were accompanied by bugles, whistles, flares and supporting mortar bursts.
- Some people think fighting with a sniper rifle is somehow entirely different than fighting with a carbine, handgun or a shotgun.
- There stood eight CIA operatives, dressed in black, holding various submachine guns and assault carbines.
- The pistol-caliber carbine, with its light recoil and mild report, offers an intimidating appearance when seen by a burglar at gunpoint.
- Seventy-five city policemen and Mississippi State Police officers armed with carbines, submachine guns, shotguns, service revolvers and some personal weapons, responded to the call.
- Pistol-caliber semiautomatic carbines are light and handy, particularly easy for smaller or weaker people to deploy.
- In answer, many departments, individual officers and armed civilians have turned to semi-automatic rifles or carbines in either pistol calibers or .223 for use as tactical long guns.
- These included a shortened carbine, a sniper rifle, a belt-fed light machine gun, and a heavy-barreled squad automatic weapon.
- Armalite offers a comprehensive line of .223, .243 and .308 caliber rifles and carbines.
- By simply changing the barrel or adding a bipod the AUG can change from a conventional rifle to an assault rifle, carbine, or light machine gun.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.