1ácido carbónico masculine
- Initially, the ammonia and carbon dioxide reacts with water to form the weak electrolytes, ammonium hydroxide and carbonic acid.
- This neutralizes carbonic acid and transports carbon dioxide in the blood.
- Finally, if ammonium carbonate is placed in water, the weak base ammonium carbonate and weak acid carbonic acid are produced.
- In limestone caves, the main source of this acidity is carbon dioxide dissolved to form weak carbonic acid in meteoric waters, although sulphuric acid may be important in thermal waters.
- Caverns throughout the world are formed by the action of atmospheric carbonic acid (water plus carbon dioxide) on limestone to form the more soluble calcium bicarbonate.