In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Surfaces can be smoothed down by rasps, files, and rifflers or by carborundum and emery, and the addition of water avoids a build-up of dust.
- Before inoculating, 600-mesh carborundum was dusted on the leaves.
- A compound known as silicon carbide, also known as carborundum, is one of the hardest substances known.
- The upper epidermis of the leaf was abraded with carborundum.
- Control plants were also dusted with carborundum and mock inoculated with a sample volume of potassium phosphate buffer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.