In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1signo de intercalación masculine
- If used inside brackets, the caret is interpreted as the negation operator.
- Not only do I underscore; I use brackets, carets, and braces; I annotate all four margins and I copiously turn down the edges (both top and bottom) of certain especially memorable pages.
- A dart (>) marks the last nucleotide for each gene and indicates the direction of transcription; nucleotides participating in termination codons of protein-coding genes are underscored with carets.
- In fact, there is a linguistic analog: the use of carets, superscripts, and footnotes - all vertical operations - to embed new information in a finished text.
- But what's even better is Pikachu's tough side, which his animators represent simply by transforming the pocket monster's normally circular mouth into a caret (the ^ symbol) to illustrate his competitiveness.
- A caret mark appears between the words ‘paid’ and ‘to’ and the words ‘in cash’ are inserted.
- Some of it gets through though - this is because subject titles are ‘cleverly’ crafted so that the spam filter doesn't recognise them (putting a full stop or caret in a word seems to work occasionally)
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.