In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Scientists say the decline of the Porcupine caribou herd in Alaska and the Yukon may be linked to global warming.
- They had all gotten up before me and had already brought down a caribou.
- The journey takes you to Denali, travelling deep into the natural habitat of bears, moose, caribou and wolves.
- It seems like warmer temperatures should come as welcome relief to the caribou that roam the harsh lands of Alaska.
- Most of the caribou fanned out in an easterly direction, but two individuals moved south.
- In such a vast park there are only a few hundreds of wild animals which include the jackal, the fox, the dall sheep, the caribou and the moose.
- They have been known to kill animals as large as caribou and mountain goats.
- When there is a loss of habitat, the woodland caribou becomes a prime target for wolves that gorge on their plentiful prey.
- Mammals, like reindeer and caribou are known to travel many miles in search of food in the cold winter months.
- The antlers of the Peary caribou grow swiftly each year, and may double the height of an adult male before growth ends in the fall.
- Large artiodactyls such as the caribou inhabit subarctic forests.
- On the north side of the lake [Great Slave Lake] by McKinley Point the caribou are really skinny.
- The Finnish reindeer does not show the typical migratory behaviour seen in wild reindeer and caribou.
- The cervids include deer and their allies, including familiar moose, elk, and caribou.
- There are also caribou, wolves, walruses, polar bears and beluga whales.
- The caribou had returned and the wolves were now released from the famine.
- Records of where hunters harvested their caribou are crucial to account for geographic variation.
- In May and early June the coastal plain serves as the principal calving ground for the Porcupine herd of caribou.
- In caribou, kidney mass is known to fluctuate through time as a function of reproductive status.
- The area over which the caribou were sampled would become important to avoid a geographic variation effect.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.