In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1calzada femininethe southbound/northbound carriageway — la calzada en dirección sur/norte
- Until then, the contraflow system on the westbound carriageway allowing a single lane of traffic in each direction will continue.
- On Sunday the cones will be changed and work will start on the other side of the eastbound carriageway.
- Commuters faced delays after lanes on both carriageways were closed.
- Lane three of the eastbound carriageway was closed while police towed away the white van.
- Suddenly the coach crossed the central reservation and collided with a public light bus travelling in the inner lane of the eastbound carriageway.
- Two lanes of the eastbound carriageway also had to be closed because of debris and to allow access for the emergency services.
- Junction 16 was closed to prevent further traffic joining the motorway and lane three in both carriageways remained closed overnight.
- Work will resume after the Easter weekend, which will mean a brief return to single lane carriageways during parts of the day.
- One lane of the northbound carriageway was closed while emergency services dealt with the accident.
- The road in this study is about 100 km long, with dual 2-lane carriageways apart from the first 5 km that are 3-lane carriageways.
- The motorway's eastbound carriageway was closed for seven hours while the rescue and clear-up operations took place.
- Two lanes of the eastbound carriageway were reopened at about 9am but one lane remained shut as workers continued to remove vehicles from the scene.
- The eastbound carriageway was reduced to two lanes while collision investigators examined the scene.
- Traffic coming into town on Charter Row will be diverted onto the outgoing side of the carriageway for approximately nine weeks of the project.
- As things began moving more quickly, we passed the accident on the other side of the carriageway.
- Police had to close two lanes of the westbound carriageway, a mile short of Junction 17 so that debris from the accident could be cleared.
- The woman landed in the middle lane of the eastbound carriageway, but, miraculously, she wasn't hit by a vehicle.
- The smash happened at 11 am on Monday on the eastbound carriageway about half a mile from Junction 15.
- The outside lane of the northbound carriageway was closed for half an hour while recovery teams cleared away the debris.
- You will also notice that motorway exits can be on either side of a carriageway.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.