In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Normally, the ball moves smoothly in its socket on a lining of shock-absorbing cartilage.
- Alternatively the ligaments may become loose, so that the disc of cartilage no longer stays between the jaw bone and the skull when the joint is moved.
- An imbalance of growth factors affecting the cartilage and underlying bone may also contribute.
- The loose bodies may remain free in the joint space and grow via layering of cartilage and bone.
- Here the two bones contact each other directly with no intervening space for articular cartilage.
- This involves taking a piece of cartilage from elsewhere in your body and putting it in your knee, to replace the damaged cartilage.
- During surgery the skin of the nose is separated from its supporting bone and cartilage, which is then sculpted to the desired shape.
- Once injured, articular cartilage doesn't heal well, or typically at all on its own.
- A hole is pierced through the skin and cartilage of the nostril.
- Often, the pain is the result of an injury such as a ruptured ligament or torn cartilage.
- Deeper in the airway wall there is cartilage and smooth muscle.
- The shape of the nose is defined by shadows as the skin moves over cartilage and bone.
- Articular cartilage is vulnerable to injury and has poor potential for repair so damage can lead to arthritis many years after injury.
- The results of this study in rabbits showed no sign of cartilage and bone formation.
- One third is found in the muscles and the rest in the bones, skin, cartilage and especially the blood.
- The ends of the bones have a smooth covering called the articular cartilage.
- The inflamed joint lining, the synovium, can invade and damage bone and cartilage.
- The human body has a dynamic framework of bone and cartilage called the skeleton.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.