In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We wandered down narrow alleyways lined with stalls filled with wool caps; or bright tinsel and paper garlands incorporating hundreds of rupees as part of their decoration; or leather holsters and cartridge belts.
- He had a rifle, a pair of pearl handled Colt.45 caliber pistols which he wore on a cartridge belt around his hips, an enormous hunting knife and enough ammunition to stock a small arsenal.
- A little net surfing, however, produced cartridges at $20 per box, a die set at $51.50, and a bag of 100 unfired brass for $30-everything I need to fill up that cartridge belt.
- Accessories included special carrying cases and cartridge belts.
- My storyteller's eyes twinkled as he re-adjusted the cartridge belts across his chest in a slightly over-boyish fashion.
- During an earlier hearing the court heard that in December last year police raided Knights' home and in the loft they found the sawn-off 12-gauge shotgun, a cartridge belt and cartridges which were compatible with the gun.
- In the loft they found a sawn-off, single-barrel 12-gauge shotgun, a cartridge belt and a number of cartridges which were compatible with the gun.
- Up to this point, both men carried their Colts in a typical Mexican loop-style holster on a wide, often 4’ or more, cartridge belt.
- Modern rifles and cartridge belts slung around the waist were eventually added to the customary dress of the Bedouin.
- Twenty warriors grabbed their weapons and cartridge belts, then fell in behind Toohoolhoolzote, the aged leader whom Howard had jailed two months before at Fort Lapwai.
- First we examined the Ermine, a lightweight, 34 oz, .45 Colt designed for daily wear, whether in a holster, mounted on a cartridge belt, or a pants belt.
- The wrist cartridge belt holds six cartridges in a handy manner on the off-side wrist where you need them most in a hurry.
- The No.24 money cartridge belt sells 10 to 1 over any other belt I offer.
- When it comes to cartridge belts, I prefer the folded over money-belt style made of soft leather that conforms to your body shape.
- The holster is mounted to the cartridge belt by a military-style wire hanger and has a swivel feature to ease the hang of the holster while mounted.
- Other Old West items include a variety of cartridge belts, rifle scabbards, pommel bags, saddle pockets, spur straps and wrist cuffs.
- During our conversation, he also showed me a cartridge belt he had recently ordered from the good folks at El Paso Saddlery.
- Already dressed under blankets, I slip on a toque and great-coat, grab my rifle and cartridge belt, and start out after the sergeant's petrol lamp.
- We used to call Georgie a Sears-Roebuck cowboy, because he wore a pistol cartridge belt low about his hips with two pearl handled forty-five revolvers in holsters, one on each groin - he never used an automatic pistol.
- Around his waist was a looped cartridge belt and a holstered .44 Colt Model 1860 Army revolver with wooden grips.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.