In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1trinchante masculinecuchillo de trinchar masculine
- I'd considered one of the carving knives, but decided it would be too awkward to carry, and too easily missed.
- However, large domestic implements such as cleavers, boning knives and carving knives would be exempt from the law and could still be bought by 16-year-olds.
- The finish is worn and there are spots from too-hot casseroles and scratches from wayward carving knives.
- ‘He went upstairs to calm things down, whereupon one of my tenants picked up a carving knife and stabbed him,’ she says.
- With a smile, Mary held up the large carving knife.
- Then grab your carving knives and carefully go at it - just make sure parents are supervising because this can be pretty dangerous!
- After he said that he pulled out a long carving knife.
- Butchers do this with their huge carving knives, but you've got to be pretty nifty to do it with a pocket knife.
- She replaced the bread knife Kirstie had been holding with a wide-bladed carving knife. ‘You may make coleslaw instead, if you wish.’
- Either way, he hadn't come with a carving knife… that she could see.
- There was a chap at the door with a carving knife, he had a hood up and a scarf over his mouth and nose.
- Most domestic kitchen knives are based on two designs, the dagger variety with a pointed tip - for example, vegetable knife or carving knife - and the blunt round nose variety - for example, bread knife.
- The victim took up a carving knife (later she said it was the bread knife) and threatened her.
- She sharpened the meat carving knife on a whetstone.
- I stared at my reflection in the blade of my carving knife.
- Her hands, clad in a pair of pink rubber gloves, held a carving knife, its blade dripping red.
- A massive meat fork was produced, along with a carving knife, and Mark and Julie's father carved the turkey.
- He held the large carving knife in his right hand.
- He was stabbed three times with a two-inch carving knife but continues to recover well.
- ‘Listen I need you go to your room; I remember seeing a carving knife in there, bring it to me please,’ she said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.