In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(notes and coins, on check)dinero (en) efectivo masculine(payment) en efectivo(refund) al contadoI'll bank this cash — voy a depositar este dinero en el banco
- we pay cash for gold — compramos oro al contado
- (in) cash — en efectivo
- I have $100 (in) cash — tengo 100 dólares en efectivo / metálico
- how much have you in cash? — ¿cuánto dinero en efectivo tienes?
- how much cash have you? — ¿cuánto dinero en efectivo tienes?
- cash only — pagos únicamente al contado
- pay cash — páguese al portador
- cash down — al contado
- cash on delivery — entrega contra reembolso
- cash in hand — caja
- cash at bank — saldo de bancos
- cash in hand and in bank — (saldos de) caja y bancos
- hard / cold cash — efectivo
- cash on the barrelhead — dinero en mano
- he paid hard / cold cash on the barrelhead — pagó chin chin
- cash offer — oferta de pago en efectivo / al contado
- cash price — precio al contado
- cash prize — premio en metálico / en dinero efectivo
2informal(money, funds)dinero masculinelana feminine Latin America informalplata feminine South America informaltela feminine Spain informal
1(check) cobrarto go to the bank to cash a check — ir al banco a cobrar un cheque
- I'll cash the check for you — yo te cambio el cheque
- Most credit cards and travellers' cheques are widely accepted, as are cash notes of the world's major trading currencies.
- The cheques were deposited in the account and the money later withdrawn with cash cheques.
- You can take Traveller cheques, cash, and a credit card.
- The $200 deposit can be made using travellers cheques, credit card or cash.
- The men made off towards Sheen Road with the bag containing cash and cheques, a mobile phone and credit cards.
- Most of us are only familiar with a few ways to spend money: cash, checks and credit cards.
- The bag contained £10 in cash as well as credit cards, a cheque book, sunglasses, documents and a small leather purse.
- Payment by the bidders will have to be in cash or bank guaranteed cheques.
- The account is then settled with cash, travellers cheques or a credit card at the end of the week.
- Giving me my money as cash or a cheque, so that I can go and exchange that money for goods and services.
- These accounts don't offer checking services, which means that bill paying must be done with cash or money orders.
- The police also recovered Rs 30,000 cash and 29 coins from the box.
- When it comes to making major purchases, credit cards are far safer than cash or cheques.
- The days when cash, a cheque or a promissory note were the only methods of payment have passed.
- In the finance office, the main coffer lock was detonated, damaging all papers, including vouchers, promissory notes, cash and cheque box.
- If you need to be really strict with yourself, take cash (not cheques or credit cards) to shops so you can't spend more than you'd planned to.
- Wallets containing cash, credit cards and documents have also been taken from lockers and police report cases have increased in the last two months
- He took the victim's wallet containing cash and credit cards, and left the house.
- Entities having cash credit accounts or bill accounts can now make repayments of their credit facilities in cash instead of a cheque or draft.
- Your best bet is to buy your bonds directly from a bank or credit union, using cash or money in an existing account.
- The fund was set up this year to address a perceived lack of venture capital cash for firms looking for investments of between £2m-5m.
- The Group remains in a negative cashflow position as it used its available cash to finance capital expenditure and retire debt.
- Little is made of the fact that household cash and savings deposits rose 8.3 per cent year-on-year in September.
- The lack of cash to fund the relatively new treatment has prompted Gavin's mother, Margaret, to write to politicians and the hospital for an explanation.
- Money is divided into cash for the most deprived areas, the second most deprived and projects to benefit all.
- The trade association said most shoppers had been left short of cash to purchase domestic goods because of escalating house prices.
- Nine months later, they are nearing profitability and have substantial cash reserves to fund growth.
- For those short on cash, down payments are not required for the program.
- Health bosses said the shortage has been heightened by practices going private, claiming demand and lack of cash was affecting their ability to treat patients.
- At the same time, the push is on for private contributions of cash.
- A county council spokesman said the fund was not short of cash for paying pensioners.
- Aid was being hampered only by the civil war and the difficulty of getting resources to the area, not by lack of cash.
- Despite living in an affluent suburb, nine mouths to feed meant the family was always scratching around for cash.
- Musicals are notoriously expensive, and a lack of cash tends to compromise their look and our enjoyment.
- They say that patience pays - which probably explains why I'm always short of cash.
- The former Sunday school building in Stanley Street, which is owned by Pendle Council, was threatened with closure last year due to a lack of cash to fund repairs.
- A lack of venture capital cash has forced the company to look abroad for partners to develop its lead product, a treatment for cystic fibrosis.
- But it has been criticised for handing out large amounts of taxpayers' cash to wealthy private individuals.
- The Ellenor Foundation can turn old mobile phones, used postage stamps, empty toner and ink cartridges and foreign coins and notes into cash.
- Over the past three years, insurers have seriously depleted their reserves of cash, which they will need to build back up again.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.