In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(utensil)cazuela femininefeminine fuente de horno
- Spoon any remaining stuffing into a baking dish or casserole: cover and chill until you're ready to bake it (about an hour before the turkey is scheduled to come out of the oven).
- Wash the roots and put them in a casserole dish with a lid.
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish, ideally one that fits the meat snugly (or use a large frying pan and then transfer the joint to a casserole dish).
- When glazed on both sides, the casserole is meant for oven cooking only.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole or deep saucepan (one with a lid); it should be wide enough to hold all the chicken pieces in a single layer.
- Combine mixture well and spread in a greased casserole dish.
- Pour mixture into a greased, flour-dusted, two-quart souffle dish or casserole.
- Warm the olive oil in a deep casserole over a moderate heat, add the onion and let it soften and colour lightly, stirring it from time to time so that it does not brown.
- Heat a casserole dish or wide-bottomed pan, add the oil and fry the cod steaks for about 4 minutes on either side until golden.
- Spray an 8x8-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and spread batter in bottom of dish.
- When you're ready to serve them pop them into a casserole in a moderate oven for 15 minutes.
- A homey little lamb stew in a ceramic casserole needs nothing more complicated than red wine, tomato and garlic to make its point.
- A stew such as the chicken and pepper dish featured here is cooked in a casserole, then served from the dish, perhaps with some mash made from regular or sweet potatoes.
- Meanwhile, if you have not already roasted the pork and veal, start from scratch by putting the onions, celery, carrots and black cabbage into a casserole with a little olive oil and water, and letting it become soft.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- First I sautéed onion and garlic in a casserole, and while cooking it I peeled and chopped a lot of carrots (they were so small I neede a lot of them, you know).
- Layer one half into the bottom of the casserole dish, and then add a layer of cheese.
- Once nice and brown, remove the chicken pieces from the pan and sauté one chopped onion in the casserole and cook until translucent.
- Layer ingredients in the following order in a casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, lidded frying pan or flameproof casserole, and brown the lamb shanks well on all sides.
2(food)guiso masculineguisado masculine Mexicobeef casserole — estofado masculine
- chicken casserole — pollo a la cacerola / a la cazuela
- We had divided up the evening meals between us: Friday night came courtesy of P who had cooked a wonderful casserole similar to cassoulet, full of pork, beans and root vegetables.
- The finished dumplings can be boiled in a saucepan of water for about 40 minutes or can be added to casseroles, soups or stews for the equivalent time before the end of the cooking period.
- With pumpkins and butternut squash, you can also roast the seeds to serve with drinks or for sprinkling over stews and casseroles to give added crunch.
- Is it any wonder that at this time of year we naturally turn to stews, soups, chowders, casseroles and such?
- Pork belly fat and salt pork from the belly and sides of the pig are tender and best when smoked or salt cured for use in stews, casseroles, or cooked as for bacon.
- You can also use bran products as a crunchy topping for casseroles, salads or cooked vegetables.
- Add extra meat, poultry, fish or beans (pinto, navy, black, kidney) to casseroles, soups or stews.
- Peel the potatoes and lay them on top of the casserole, so they will steam while the stew cooks.
- The week before pay day is the time I'm most likely to be cooking up casseroles from unidentifiable bits of meat from the freezer, and staying in to do the ironing.
- And if you're not up to cooking a casserole, pop some part-made bread from the supermarket in the oven to get those home-made smells going.
- You can also add three or four berries (which have the same aromatic, spicy flavour as the leaves) to stews and casseroles.
- The doorbell rang out through the house just as Mom was pulling her chicken casserole from the oven.
- When the weather is cold and stormy, we tend to eat more - not just for the cozy feeling of snacking, but because we crave the comforting heat of casseroles, stews and roasts warming us from the inside out.
- In place of the stews, casseroles and roast meals that are traditional winter warming food, the organisers will be serving salads to go with a hog roast.
- Made from soybeans, TVP comes in granules, chunks and flakes and is great in stews, casseroles, chili and veggie burgers.
- I also make chicken casseroles (never beef - I haven't eaten it since I got put off by the whole BSE thing).
- Duck is also really great for casseroles and stews.
- All sorts of casseroles, stews and braised dishes work well cooked in just one pot, but you can also consider soup for starters and steamed or baked sponge pudding afterwards.
- Although stews and casseroles are often associated with winter, pot-roasting is, to my mind, the perfect bridge between heavy, hearty winter fare and lighter summer food.
- The more popular American version of the dumpling is a type of biscuit, which consists of heavy dough dropped into simmering savory stews and casseroles.
1guisar en una cazuela
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.