In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Male calves were castrated either at birth, at time of initial vaccination, or at weaning.
- The mouse was also castrated, so that it would produce a higher level of the hormone that switches on sperm production.
- Nine cats were castrated males; three cats were females: two of them were spayed.
- Other bulls are castrated, and this seems to be simply based on the individual preference of their owner, although a castrate will grow larger and hence become more valuable.
- Then at 18 she met a group of eunuchs - castrated men who dressed as women and sang and danced for a living.
- Such an income would not only have benefited the castrato but, more importantly, the family that castrated him.
- The best day, by far, was watching the vet castrate a colt, but for some strange reason, Peter doesn't like me to talk about that too explicitly.
- The Emperor of China would employ eunuchs, castrated men, as guards and servants in his Palace.
- Men, in particular, have abhorred the idea of castrating their dogs, as if it were some kind of crime against male dominance.
- She could do anything he could, from riding and roping to branding the cattle and castrating the bulls.
- We later found out that the song was about a woman who got revenge on a rapist by castrating him.
- Adrian had a sudden fear that the man might borrow his accomplice's knife and castrate him, or at the very least stab him.
- At birth, calves were identified with a numbered ear tag, they were weighed, sex was recorded, and male calves were castrated.
- His desire for power is so great that he castrates himself in order to attain invincible and mystical powers.
- Some castrate their dogs just because they are energetic.
- Cronus used a sickle to castrate his father Uranus, and he is often portrayed throughout literature as having a long beard.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.