In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It causes out-of-body experiences or catalepsy, when people are unable to move, sometimes for up to 12 hours.
- ‘Atypicality’ was initially defined as the inability to induce catalepsy in laboratory animals (as the old, ‘typical’, conventional agents can do).
- Indications that patients were in hypnosis included observation of eyelid fluttering, catalepsy, and slowed respiration.
- Stupor or catalepsy, mutism, posturing/grimacing/stereotypy, echolalia or echopraxia and excessive motor activity were the main catatonic features.
- A spokesperson for the cemetery told the newspaper: ‘We want to be pioneers and avoid catalepsy cases, in which a person gets completely paralysed for a few hours and ends up buried as if they were dead.’
- The mere prospect of having to recount a personal anecdote plunges me into boredom verging on catalepsy.
- The hysterics' observable disorders, such as catalepsy, as well as their visual experiences, including hallucination and delirium, were deemed manifest content and, as such, not to be taken at face value.
- The term ‘atypical’ was originally used to describe drugs that in animal models predict antipsychotic effects but do not produce catalepsy, most notably clozapine.
- Admittedly, he suffers from a strange illness which doctors merely call catalepsy, when the muscles become stiff and rigid.
- Furthermore, high dose morphine is well reported as a cause of rigidity, catalepsy, akathisia, and myoclonus, which must add to the difficulty of interpreting pain on the basis of observation alone.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.