- The signature plant in her garden is the golden catalpa tree, Catalpa bignonioides Aurea, whose nearly tropical nature seems to warm up Puget Sound by at least 20 degrees.
- This is the northern catalpa, a native to the central Mississippi River Valley but found in 17 states across the U.S. and in southern Canada.
- The tired, sun-burnt hills of summer have awoken with a new, hopeful greenness and the catalpa trees are flowering with huge white orchid-like flowers in the village squares.
- Silver maple and catalpa aren't the best choices because they're soft and break easily.
- In addition to those mentioned above, these include such well-known trees as quaking aspen, boxelder, northern catalpa, American holly, chestnut oak, and saguaro.
- Part of the problem is that the catalpa tree outside the bedroom window is in dire need of a trim but who knows if the apartment building will be doing that this year.
- Bayley and Flo planted a catalpa in front of the house and set about the interior.
- The northern catalpa can get leaf spot or powdery mildew, but these conditions are treatable.
- There are more than 1,500 kinds of plants in these forests, including 19 kinds of rare plants such as the thorned cyathea spinulosa, the Chinese double-fan fern, the Chinese goose-palm catalpa and the yinque tree.