In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Elegant yachts, powerboats and catamarans moor up at the jetty bringing a daily stream of lively faces eager to learn more about this beautiful island and the stunning architecture of the village-once the French capital of St Lucia.
- High speed catamarans or hydrofoils will whisk up to 150 passengers on the 30-minute journey from Fife to Edinburgh's waterfront every half an hour at peak times.
- If lying on the beach doesn't keep them busy, there are catamarans, glass-bottom boat trips, plunge pools, a long, white sandy beach and plenty of water sports to occupy their time during the day.
- Consequently, to get the best of both speed and stability he developed a catamaran: two long thin hulls joined by a deck.
- There are a number of different sailing vessels currently operating out of Thailand, from mono hulled outfits to catamarans or even trimaran yachts.
- Yachts and catamarans offer sunset cruises too.
- We're not talking sea-going yacht or racing catamaran here, just a simple flat-bottomed boat to get a closer look at the reef and marine life.
- Come dusk, the distant lights of fishing boats and catamarans form a necklace around the curving horizon.
- If you charter a boat in Miami, you can pick and choose among spacious trawlers, luxurious motor yachts, or swift catamarans.
- Here the reef is just an hour away, serviced by elegant chartered catamarans and yachts.
- You need to charter catamarans, not monohulls, to explore these incredible seas.
- It has an air-cushioned catamaran hull and waterjet propulsion, which provides high speed and manoeuvrability.
- Sunday will feature a long-distance race for catamarans and keelboats.
- Our dive boat was a 14m catamaran with two 250 h.p. engines, and it looked just great.
- As we scrambled ashore, more experienced sailors were taking to the water with glee aboard a fleet of dinghies and catamarans.
- Hire that yacht or catamaran and sail away for at least three days, a week would be better.
- The 59-year-old was escorted into harbour by 400 motorboats, yachts, catamarans and canoes blowing sirens and whistles.
- The submarine was then guided onto the cradle and hoisted aboard the catamaran mother ship.
- The catamaran anchored off the Ancon Peninsula so holidaymakers could snorkel or swim, the inquest was told.
- The kinds of boats available range from 80-foot motor yachts and sprawling catamarans to smaller sailboats that cater to couples.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.