In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's a defiantly anti-commercial album; one built more for cathartic expression than fretting over the amount of units sold.
- Today, audiences prefer big statements, cathartic effects and emotional exhibitionism.
- Perhaps this is why the film is best seen in a crowded theatre, where the infectiousness of cathartic emotion can have full play.
- Furthermore, a substantial body of social research reports that engaging in cathartic expressions of anger does not eradicate aggressive urges but rather escalates them.
- As with Greek drama, it may be emotionally cathartic but it is never soothing.
- For many, the experience is clearly cathartic and helps release pent-up emotions.
- This would have a cathartic effect; it would release us from the torments of hypocrisy, from the discomforts of a lie.
- As an expression of community solidarity, and as a cathartic public moment of defiance in the face of the threat of personal loss, it is a powerful symbol.
- Sometimes it's cathartic to open up about the sad stuff.
- All people, including Chinese people, crave the cathartic release that laughter provides.
- It was a great, great, great show, a very cathartic release.
- Forgiveness is cathartic and releases tension, revenge perpetuates and increases tension.
- The play is supposed to build to a final cathartic spilling of secrets and emotions.
- I also think there is real value, cathartic release, in applying to humour to the situation and being able to openly laugh at what we once feared
- However, don't expect a cathartic payoff, because there is little emotional messiness in this largely intellectual exercise.
- But beyond the monetary considerations, her renaming ordeal has also proved emotionally cathartic.
- Would we then defer to his expressed wishes and enact a scene of cathartic cruelty?
- It's been a cathartic experience for all of us.
- Gullible by nature, they are easily swayed by catchy slogans and start seeking cathartic relief in communal frenzy.
- We were witnessing the cathartic expression of raw experience that could be the foundation of a profoundly moving work and perhaps one day it will.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.