In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1rayo catódico masculinebefore noun cathode ray tube — tubo de rayos catódicos masculine
- Cold cathode ray technology illuminates the instrument faces, while the indicators are backlit.
- One member of the radio society even has a major collection of cathode ray oscilloscopes, which he displays along one complete wall in his home.
- TV detector vans do not work by picking up radiation from the cathode ray tube
- This sends information to the cathode ray in the back of your television, which projects it onto the screen.
- Inside this glass tube, evacuated of air, a negatively charged and heated metal plate emitted a beam - a cathode ray - that could be focused and accelerated by its attraction towards a positively charged plate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.