In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ganado masculinereses200 (head of) cattle — 200 reses
- they drove us like cattle onto the boat — nos subieron al barco como a ganado
- before noun cattle breeder — ganadera
- cattle breeding — ganadería
- cattle crossing — paso de ganado
- cattle dealer — tratante de ganado
- cattle ranch — hacienda (ganadera)
- cattle rustler — cuatrero
- cattle shed — establo
- They were sheep and cattle herders in the main with some measure of agricultural development.
- Brazil is the world's second biggest soya producer and has the second biggest herd of cattle.
- They also kept sheep, goats and cattle to add milk, butter, cheese and meat to their diet.
- People would bring cattle and other livestock from all around the area to be shipped out.
- Hardy traditional cattle breeds would have been a common sight on the upland farms of the Dales many years ago.
- Because of the war the national cattle stock is low and animals have to be imported.
- Milk yield of milch cattle has been severely affected because of scarcity of fodder.
- Agriculture is mainly pastoral, but recent droughts have decimated cattle herds.
- In Niger, communities have been forced to sell off their precious herds of cattle.
- Walking home late one evening, a tuba player blew low notes near a herd of cattle.
- Families in the cattle herding areas of the Somali region are the worst off.
- He then sold all his livestock and replaced them with four breeds of pedigree cattle.
- Apparently the animals may also infect cattle with diseases and damage hay.
- In 1920 the company bought farm land in Cheshire and raised a herd of Hereford beef cattle.
- It will not be known until this week, which abattoirs will be approved for dealing with older cattle.
- This is a critical problem for Irish cattle farmers who rely so much on grass silage.
- Its main uses are as a forage crop for feeding cattle and as a green manure.
- Anyone with knowledge of livestock and pedigree cattle will appreciate their true value.
- The main form of agriculture was pastoral with cattle and sheep being grazed on unenclosed lands.
- Death is not usual but animals cease gaining weight and milk production in dairy cattle falls.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.