In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So when you post catty comments about your boss, it is the same as doing so in an interview.
- And as nerves fray and tempers rise you can be assured of a catty remark or backstage rumpus.
- I was racking my mind for some kind of catty remark, but was coming up empty.
- Let joy raise you above negative comments, catty remarks or outright persecution.
- Girls engage in catty behavior and nasty comments, judging each other on appearance and material possessions.
- The book is an acquired taste, but on stage it revealed itself as an entertaining character comedy thanks to a set of brilliant performances led by Ward as a catty matriarch driven by self-interest.
- An office would not be an office without gossip and catty remarks.
- They can make all the catty remarks they want and still not pass math.
- I didn't think these girls could be so catty.
- You never get catty comments like that from female customers.
- Is this really what she dreamed of doing when she was in college: writing catty comments about the clothes and hairstyles of people who have actually accomplished things in their own lives?
- Certain catty colleagues liked to read these stories aloud.
- I thought the hardest part of my recovery would be the pain and the crutches; I wasn't prepared for catty remarks from other dancers.
- We have many friends and acquaintances with different political values, but these two are the only ones who feel the need to ruin a perfectly nice evening with snide and catty comments about people whom they know we support.
- The book sporadically manages to be amusingly catty, but never, try as it may, moving.
- She was the fighter in our group; she could make a tough girl cry with her endless barrage of snotty remarks and catty comebacks.
- I even made a catty remark about her hairband back in 1992, for which I'm truly sorry.
- The climbing world can be a remarkably catty place, so it came as no surprise that not everyone was awed by the Russians' feat.
- ABC couldn't resist a catty comment on its Web site.
- Before Minerva could defend Kelly with a catty remark, Kelly cut her short.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.