In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Entry to the caves was through a passage which led to a large chamber filled with water.
- The Himalayan cave houses an icy stalagmite worshipped as an incarnation of the Hindu god Shiva.
- Bats spend the summer living in trees and buildings, and retreat to caves and potholes in winter, to hibernate.
- Steven Birch and a small team of archaeologists are excavating a remarkable cave on the Isle of Skye.
- Many faults have karst features developed along them, with strings of caves visible along the faults.
- It opens with an old woman relating a mythical tale of people trapped in an underground cave.
- Plato was not describing a real place any more than his allegory of the cave describes a real cave.
- The coastline is varied, dramatic and rugged, cut with caves, gullies, canyons and sheer cliffs.
- Local monks have also taken advantages of the natural caves and have made them part of their temples.
- The cavern is a natural cave carved into the rock by the sea, and widened into an underground canal by human hands.
- Karim, dive instructor and owner of Deep South Diving, leads me through a series of caves at the back of the reef.
- The numerous caves and grottoes were long occupied by Palaeolithic peoples.
- To the north lies Durness with the spectacular Smoo Cave, a limestone cave with a hole in the roof.
- The cave has two main chambers, with a series of galleries and chambers leading off them.
- The reef face is pockmarked by some fairly deep caves where only qualified cave divers should venture.
- If we all lived underground in caves there would be fewer skin cancers, and if we all moved to Brisbane there would be more.
- Other parts of Rainbow River are better known for caves and grottos.
- This produces stalactites and related deposits in underground caves.
- The rock's many natural caves have been added to over the years by a series of remarkable tunnels.
- The growth rate of stalactites and stalagmites in many caves today is of course quite slow.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.