In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Buildingpared con cámara de aire femininemuro con cámara de aire masculinebefore noun cavity wall insulation — aislamiento con cámara de aire
- This can be as much as 21 inches in width in a cavity wall construction, so ensure you know exactly what you are buying in useful square metres!
- The fire is believed to have happened when the plumber was soldering a water pipe and insulation in the cavity wall caught fire.
- Highfield Hospital chief Wyn Davies got the bird when he rescued a jackdaw that was trapped behind the cavity wall in his office.
- While a wall with a 19 millimetre air space cannot be a cavity wall, it must perform as one.
- The Government's new ‘decent homes’ initiative includes central heating, double glazing, cavity wall and loft insulation, and modern kitchens and bathrooms.
- This is compared to the brick-faced cavity wall construction which is the norm in this country.
- An insulated brick cavity wall resists heat gain more than 50 times better than double-reflective glass and nine times better than an insulated metal sandwich panel wall.
- I have had ants in my cavity wall for years and I can't seem to get rid of them although I have tried proprietary ant killers.
- Improvements to 4,000 homes over the next three years include new windows, central heating, rewiring and cavity wall and loft insulation.
- However, I now understand that if the wall in the kitchen where the boiler and air-vent are situated, is a cavity wall the problem might not be resolved.
- The money will be used for the provision of gas or electric heaters, loft and cavity wall insulation, draught-proofing and central heating repairs.
- Satana the grass snake managed to nudge the top off her cage and slithered through a hole in the kitchen into a cavity wall.
- In a cavity wall, water that penetrates the exterior wythe is prevented from reaching the interior wythe because of the open air space between the two.
- The brick masonry in these locations is designed with a cavity wall, so why is it necessary to protect the face of the sheathing?
- Only in December last year she had new double-glazing installed and cavity wall insulation fitted by Bradford Council.
- But then Mrs Aksew heard scratching coming from a cavity wall in the kitchen.
- The cavity wall insulation work being offered could help residents save as much as £160 per year on energy bills.
- Please investigate the recent concern over the cavity wall work that Stephen discovered.
- Fire crews were alerted by children playing cricket in the school yard yesterday afternoon as fire spread through the cavity wall into a classroom.
- They were also told they would have to pay £800 for fascia work and guttering and £750 for replacement cavity wall ties.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.