In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Both feature original cast iron fireplaces and cornicing and there is also an attractive ceiling rose in the living room.
- Where can I source ceiling roses and cornicing?
- The living room is accessed through double doors and includes a stone fireplace with gas fire inset together with a ceiling rose and coving.
- Inside, the narrow entrance hallway has several attractive period features including an ornate archway, dado rail and a detailed ceiling rose.
- Timber flooring, a ceiling rose and a dado rail are all features of the entrance hall, to the left of which is the first of the property's two bedrooms.
- The overhead light hangs from an intricate ceiling rose.
- The replacement of a damaged leaf in a ceiling rose or of part of a frieze is not a major undertaking, and there are skilled plasterers and restorers available.
- Then we added cornices, corbels, ceiling roses and two custom built crystal chandeliers.
- The entrance hall has original floor tiles laid out in a herringbone design, moulded cornices and an original ceiling rose.
- There is a ceiling rose and considerable light enters through a large glass doorway which leads out to the rear garden.
- We also took the opportunity to put back a ceiling rose in the original style and will be re-fitting a picture rail to highlight the proportions of the room.
- Other period features include a cast iron fireplace with tiled inset and hearth, picture rails, deep skirting boards and an ornate ceiling rose.
- The entrance hall has elaborate cornicing, a ceiling rose, a dado rail and understairs storage.
- The bright entrance hallway has a centre ceiling rose and cornice work, an ornate arch and polished timber floors that run throughout the entire hall level.
- One solitary plaster ceiling rose remains in the lobby: ‘They tried to get that one and it wouldn't come down,’ says Lowery.
- The first floor is home to three bedrooms, two of which are decent-sized doubles with original features such as decorative coving, picture rails and ceiling roses.
- With an original oak floor, this area also features a carved oak ceiling rose, pediments, cornices and architraves.
- The lounge has a feature fireplace, period style ceiling rose, and a bay window, as has the dining room to the rear.
- The spacious reception hall has the original ceiling rose and chandelier.
- Beside this, the family room is a bright space with a ceiling rose and a large fireplace with marble hearth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.