In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(anniversary/success/birthday) celebrar(anniversary/birthday/success) festejar
- A Lisselton woman celebrates a birthday with a difference this Tuesday as she reaches the magical 100 mark.
- Speaking of sound engineers (and, indeed, of sound men), a gentleman of the Australian nation is celebrating his fortieth birthday today.
- It represents an early birthday present for the £900m shopping mall, which celebrates its fifth anniversary next month.
- It's also the choice of our sister-in-law, who's celebrating a birthday, and the choice of several other women who'll be in the audience.
- Les, Robyn, and Steve are all celebrating birthdays this weekend.
- For their part, the Central Festival Center organized music shows, dance demonstrations and a whole day of fun activities to celebrate the historic event.
- A number of centenarians celebrated their birthdays earlier this year.
- Brigid was given a surprise party to celebrate her big day.
- The school - which has just celebrated its centenary - is owned by the Licensed Trade Charity.
- Nonetheless, the family still gather every year to celebrate Mum's wedding anniversary.
- ‘The radio link will allow women on the outer islands to report on their activities to celebrate the day,’ says Teao.
- No one knows exactly when the tradition got started in St Lucia but the event is celebrated with gusto and much frivolity with activities lasting up to a week.
- Staff at the Fat Cat are planning to hold a party to celebrate their success and plan to get ‘very merry’.
- It's her birthday on Sunday but because she is being whisked away for a romantic mini break, we shall gather the troops to celebrate her happy day next week.
- Fibbers, the York live music café bar in Stonebow, is celebrating its tenth birthday this weekend; but why is it called Fibbers?
- Many happy returns to Margaret and Pat James Duffy who are celebrating their wedding anniversary on Friday June 6th.
- Damien is also celebrating his birthday today.
- Afterwards the wedding party celebrated the great day at the Seven Oaks, Carlow.
- She is planning a formal wedding and reception to celebrate the happy event.
- Mr Clinton was delighted to hear that Orla will be celebrating her tenth birthday on the tenth anniversary of the first IRA ceasefire next week.
- A North Yorkshire equality campaigner is celebrating a landmark victory in the House of Commons which will enable men over 60 to claim free bus travel.
- Last week I was due to celebrate our wedding anniversary in Venice.
- A primary school pupil celebrating his seventh birthday was due to unveil a £151,000 revamp at a Melksham supermarket.
- If your pampered poodle is celebrating a birthday you can also pick up a Dogsters frozen ‘special occasion cake.’
- Maestro Camplin was especially charming about halfway through the evening, when he asked if anyone in the audience was celebrating a birthday.
- Communities across Australia will be celebrating the event with tree planting activities to green up Australia.
- Also celebrating his birthday on Saturday, September 17, was Michael Kiely, Waterford, who turned the big 40 at the weekend.
- Also celebrating her birthday is Kate O'Neill, Avondale, Waterford, who reached her latest milestone on Tuesday, September 13.
- Carlow College of Music, under its Director of Music, Majella Swan, B.Mus, H. Dip, in Ed., is celebrating its tenth birthday.
- The university community is invited to three public events to celebrate the occasion.
- To celebrate the occasion the happy couple renewed their wedding vows and enjoyed the celebrations with their family and close friends in the Waterford Manor Hotel.
- For all you fellow bloggers and visitors out there who celebrate Valentine's Day, here's wishing you an enjoyable one tomorrow.
- Teachers from Banglamung district, VIPs and over 2,000 people from the general public gathered to celebrate this special day.
- Students and teachers from Annandale North Public School are celebrating the end of a four-year battle to extend their playground.
- He celebrated his birthday on Monday, the anniversary of the infamous 1963 robbery.
- The Platinum clubhouse is celebrating its third birthday this month.
- Today my sister Rufie is celebrating her birthday.
- Two of her nieces attended the party to help celebrate her special day.
- Orkney's oldest resident celebrated her birthday on Wednesday, reaching the grand old age of 103.
- Happy anniversary to Leo and Kitty Burke, who celebrated their special day recently.
2formal(praise)(deeds/virtues) celebrar literary(virtues/deeds) loar literarypaintings that celebrate nature — pinturas que son un canto a la naturaleza
- Several universities, institutes and schools in the U.S., India and other countries have been honouring Chawla with awards celebrating her spirit.
- One is a film that celebrates the wholesome things in American life: men on horseback, women weaving tapestries, oil well firefighters in Texas.
- Mostly the film celebrates friendship and enjoying life (which seems to be having friends, sex, food and wine), though it's not as hedonistic as it sounds.
- Four major exhibitions celebrate different aspects of Turner's artistic achievement this season.
- This is an opportunity to celebrate your neighbours and honour volunteers in your community.
- Russian Ark is a film that celebrates high culture unequivocally.
- The theme will be to celebrate who and what make up the essence of Keighley.
- "Natural Forms" is a fascinating exhibition celebrating nature in its lyrical diversity.
- For all it pretends to laugh at that 1950s ideal, covertly the film celebrates it.
- The hall of fame was instituted four years ago and honours and celebrates a combination of past broadcasters and those who continue to enliven the airwaves and engage and entrance the imagination of listeners.
- Her own marriage, to celebrated New Yorker film reviewer Anthony Lane, could not survive without it.
- Those leaders now perpetrating war crimes and crimes against humanity are celebrated and honoured.
- The media across the Islamic Arab world have endorsed that promise, praised the film, and celebrated its new life in the United States.
- Whilst both books should be celebrated and praised as artistic successes, it is Brite's novel which is truly the more shocking work.
- I do think it's time to celebrate what's on our doorstep.
- Yet the film celebrates the idea that if you have the will and tenacity, you can come through hard times, and that there's no need to depend on the federal government to save you.
- ‘It is to inspire an interest and love of international cinema and to celebrate the art of film,’ she said.
- We're saying that cinema can be an event, it can be a fun place where film is celebrated.
- Four categories have been created to make sure that all elements of community work are celebrated, with honours being handed out to those champions who have gone the extra mile for the sake of creating a better way of life.
- Those honoured include celebrated benefactor John Harrison, brewer Joshua Tetley and cricket legend Sir Leonard Hutton.
3(Mass/the eucharist) celebrar
- Travers celebrated the Requiem Mass and delivered a lovely ceremony celebrating the life of Dessie and referring to his special love for music and life.
- Fr Paul also celebrated his Requiem Mass where he paid tributes to Larry.
- James Conor Coleman, Cross, Edmondstown recently celebrated the sacrament of Baptism in Monasteraden.
- It was the first time the enrolment ceremony for these Sacraments was celebrated within the Mass.
- A Latin Mass in the old Rite was celebrated by Fr. Robert Ruttledge in Rathduff Church on Sunday evening last.
- Grange priest Father Christy McHugh celebrated Mass at Staid Abbey for the first time in over 400 years.
- In my early years I was puzzled by the fact that a priest from a neighboring men's cloister came to celebrate the liturgy exclusively for women.
- Fr. Colm Burke celebrated the Requiem Mass and Eddie was laid to rest in the adjoining cemetery.
- Clonaghadoo's annual cemetery Mass will be celebrated on Sunday, July 4th at 4pm.
- If you have a child for Baptism you are asked to give two weeks' notice so the Baptismal team and the priest scheduled to celebrate the ceremony may arrange to visit you.
- The following day Fr. Shanahan celebrated Requiem Mass and he was assisted by Fr. Crowley.
- That would see ordained lay deacons performing most of the functions of a priest, apart from celebrating the Eucharist.
- Mass will celebrated for the repose of his soul in Castlebar at a later date.
- The Pope said Catholic priests were forbidden to celebrate Eucharistic liturgies with Protestant ministers.
- If the weather is unsuitable, the Mass will be celebrated in the church.
- Fr. John O'Gorman celebrated the Requiem Mass for the late Jack Curran in Newcastle Church near Athenry last Thursday.
- In the early Church, as in the Synagogue, the altar was a sacred table upon which were placed the books and instruments used to celebrate the Eucharistic sacrament, or Mass.
- Father Purcell celebrated the Requiem Mass in Dunhill Church and the soloist was Margaret Moore.
- Fr. Peter Gannon celebrated the Mass and officiated at the ceremony.
- Requiem Mass was celebrated for the repose of his soul on Monday in Meelick Church.
1we won: let's celebrate! — ¡ganamos, vamos a celebrarlo / festejarlo!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.